Visiting Swindon

My parents are coming to stay with us this evening, which I’m looking forward to, but the reason for the visit is that Millie’s going to stay with them for a couple of days, which I confess I’m slightly sad about.

My parents have been asking if they can have Millie to stay with them (without us there) for months now, and we’ve only just gotten round to sorting it out.  She’s going back to Swindon with them on the train tomorrow (Thursday) and coming back Saturday afternoon.  Not exactly a month in the country, but despite appearing quite blasé about it – and thinking that Millie will have both a great time as well as gain a little bit more independence – the house is going to be a bit quiet and sad without her. 😦

Fortunately, my parents and Millie are going to catch the same train as me to work tomorrow, so I’ll see Millie for an extra 40 minutes or so.

Anyway, we’ll still have the eBub there with us.  She’s settling in remarkably well at nursery: in fact, one of the aunties there told us they’d never seen a bubbah settle in so quickly and happily as our bubbah has.  Firstly, I’m not sure whether that’s a compliment or not; secondly, I’m equally uncertain whether they might not say that to every parent!

Also, eBub has already made a little friend at nursery.  Most of the children in her class are a bit older – they’re already walking – but there’s another little bubbah there even younger than the eBub (though not smaller – just like her “big” sister, Amber is quite petite) and they apparently have a whale of a time playing together and chasing each other around the nursery on all fours.

I imagine that’s a lovely sight to behold, since eBub leaves you in no doubt when she’s happy – she has an infectious giggle and often squeals with delight – at a remarkably high pitch and volume – when particularly delighted by something (“something” usually being anything Millie does that includes her in it).

Getting both girls to nursery on my own is turning out to be far less stressful than I’d imagined, although I’m glad eBub is eating plain old weetabix now, rather than some special complicated baby food.  Getting both girls actually into nursery is the hard part, what with all the security measures they have in place to stop the omnipresent Filthy Paedos™ from somehow parachuting in or abseiling down the walls.

When we get there, Millie will be pushing the buggy with Amber in it (Millie loves pushing the buggy – I’m worried that passersby think I’m some kind of lazy slave-driving dad!) and first of all we have to ring the bell to get buzzed in to the main nursery.  We take Amber out of the buggy, take her coat off, get her bottle from under the buggy and hand both bottle and Bubbah over to the aunties.

Next, Millie likes to help me put the buggy away so we take the buggy back out the front door, go round the side of the nursery and get buzzed into another separate section where the buggies are kept.  Fold the buggy up, put it away and go back around to the front to get buzzed in again; go upstairs, take Millie’s coat off, hang it up and kiss her goodbye (and often hang around for 30 seconds just to watch her at play with her friends).

The Lovely Melanie suggested there was an easier internal way to cut out all this buzzing rigmarole, but we tried it today and although it’s shorter the process means getting Aunties involved to hold doors open and the like, so I think I’ll stick with the rigmarole we know, thank you.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s