This morning Amber & Millie somehow got talking about what things will be like when they’re grown up.
To get all science fiction nerdy just for a moment, it perfectly summed up the problems of writing science fiction – that the future is unpredictable because you can only extrapolate from what you already know, i.e., the present. So their idea of what things will be like when they’re grown-up was…unusual.
Amber got bored of the game after a while, but Millie just kept on going, coming out with endless predictions of what life would be like when she was older.
- They’ll both have babies (both of which will be girls) and will live in a big house together.
- Millie will change her name to Millie Molly Mandy and Amber to Amber Grace Carter (yes, I know, that’s already her name).
- They will live in Australia next door to Auntie Kristine and by the sea.
- They will both have cars – Amber’s will be pink and Millie’s will be pink and another colour (she never properly decided which).
- Their house will have three floors with a fireman’s pole, a lift and trampolines to get up and down.
- It will have four bedrooms – one for Amber, one for Millie and one for each of their babies.
- Millie’s bedroom will have mirrored walls and a pink door.
- Both the interior and exterior will be painted in painfully bright colours.
- There will be at least one secret passage.
- It will have rabbits.
Amber did get a bit bogged down in listing what you need in order to live in a house – Toilet! Garden! Ceilings! Plates! Stairs! Bannister! – but it was wonderful to hear them talking about their future together and to realise what they think grown-up life is like…